Monday 2 May 2011

Never Trust Your Ex's

first things first - never open a link sent by your ex.  almost 5 hours on the phone with the company who I got my laptop from and it's still not fixed.  I miss my laptop! 
So, that explains why I haven't blogged lately.  that and the 30 hours of work spread over 3 days. 
In a couple of days, it's off to Toronto again.  This time to attend the second reading of a Bill, the biggest, most inportant one in about 40 years.  This bill would make the Ombudsman responsible for dealing with school boards as well.
However, there's one problem that I have been dealing with in which I need to vent.
I was contacted not that long ago by a woman who was working for her neighbours, who were mennonite.  Their 11 year old son had been bullied a lot and a little over a year ago was pushed to the ground.  The school had failed him in many ways.  He blacked out and came to in the principals office.  No ambulance was called.  He threw up many times that day and was sent home on the bus with the rest of the kids.  His parents were the ones who took him to emerge.  His parents were the ones driving an hour one way and back everyday when he was transferred to London hospital with head injuries.  For a week, they watched their youngest child in the hospital because of a brain anurism (spelling is bad, I know), not knowing if their son would live or die.  I worked with this family because this incident happened on school property.  not only that, but the school also knew this boy was being bullied and not only did nothing but also didn't tell his parents about it.  Now we are faced with a problem - the school board is refusing responsibility.  A letter was sent to the school boards insurance company to which they replied that they were not liable, that sometimes bad things just happened. 
I'm sorry but if that were  my kid, I'd be fighting non stop.  In fact, I did fight.  However, I cannot fight anymore because I do not have permission to act further.  I offered to contact a lawyer for them, one who would work for free but they do not want to act any further.  This boy has an increased risk of epilepsy and has to see a neurologist every year for the rest of his life.  This is his religion - don't fight.  I have no problem respecting that.  What angers me is the fact that the school board is able to get away with this.  That they can say "not liable" and get to continue on while this little boy is left different for the rest of his life.  While his parents lost income going to the hospital every day for a week wondering if their son would life.  They were out money for medical costs that were not convered because their school failed them and the school gets to get away with it.  thats my rant. 

No comments:

Post a Comment